Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Searcher Searches


Been reading a lot lately (when haven’t I?), in between the Lovecraft and the mathematics, about alternative religions.  Alternative spiritualities, I guess.  Philosophies and theologies such as:

   Buddhism
   Zen Buddhism
   Christian Science
   Infinite Way
   New Thought

Not sure why, other than trying to satisfy some unnamed, ill-defined need.  Just because I can’t name it or define it doesn’t mean it’s not there.  It is. * 

But what about Catholicism, you ask.  You are, after all, a self-proclaimed champion and defender of Catholicism on this blog. 

Well, two things.

First, I’m not converting, nor do I intend to convert.  I am convinced of the Truth of Christ and Church.
I’ve been thinking almost every day on this thought:

If I wanted a buff, Schwarzeneggarian build, would I kneel and pray for it every waking hour of the day, or would I toss some weights about, drink whey protein and eat whole farmloads of chicken and eggs? 

If I wanted a PhD in astrophysics, would I meditate in Church asking for it, or would I start taking classes at the local college, studying all hours of the night, attending every lecture and lab?

If there is something lacking in my life, God provides paths to fulfillment.  So it seems to me I’m doing all this reading – research might be a better term for it – to name and define this weird need that I’ve had for as long as I can remember.

Second, I am reminded of a very famous quote by G. K. Chesterton:

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.”

Which I see the wisdom of and agree wholeheartedly.

So my readings on Eastern religion and New World philosophies, I’m hoping, will lead me to that part of the Christian ideal I’ve left untried.


* = if pressed, I’d say it’s something about thinkinghow to think, what to think, that sorta thing.

No comments: