Monday, March 17, 2014

KO'd


Woke up sick Saturday morning: dizzy, tired, achy, chills.  Managed to get through morning errands with Patch – paying necessary bills, heading to the post office, dry cleaners, bank, library.  Had sandwiches with my youngest at Blimpie’s – her pick.  Stumbled home, put on a DVD for her (the wife and Little One were out at a Girl Scout luncheon), and crawled into bed.

Where I pretty much stayed until Monday morning.

Nothing was comforting.  Couldn’t read.  Couldn’t take a bath.  Couldn’t breathe without coughing.  Couldn’t eat without feeling gross.  It’s the same bronchial infection thingie I’ve been getting every year for the past three years.  Azythromycin (sp?) knocks it out; the wife is working on scoring some for me.

So what did I do for 42 hours in bed?

Watched teevee. 

Yeah, and it affirmed what a dumbed-down stupid culture we live in.  How many reality shows about minutiae and ephemera can there be?  I channel surfed through people trying to survive naked in the jungle, deep-fat frying, looking for gold in Alaska, shopping and living to shop, shearing sheep, trying to win Asian singing contests.  And I despair of ever watching anything interesting on the so-called “History” channels.  Seems like the only “history” they broadcast is of the ancient alien kind.

Want depressing?  Try sitting through six episodes of Cops.  I did.  Let me tell you, it doesn’t buttress one’s feelings of brotherhood or optimism for the human race.

Watched a couple of bad-to-okay movies.  Unstoppable, Alien vs Predator, Lakeview Drive.  Watched a Star Trek: The Original Series episode with the wife on Saturday night (“The Ultimate Computer”).  Dozed off and on throughout the night.  Coughing woke me up around 4 am; I watched half of a bizarre movie on TCM about a crazy mother in hippy America keeping her teenage son in crib and diapers.  Then, thankfully, I slept until 9:45 Sunday morning.

Headache subsided as was finally able to read Sunday – and started off with a pair of Asimov short stories.  The wife and girls went to the circus in the afternoon with my blessing, and I enjoyed the quiet of the house.  Watched Walking Dead last night and wished I could take Monday off.

Though perhaps work is exactly what I need.  42 hours in front of the teevee’ll make the healthiest man sick.

No comments: