Sunday, March 2, 2014

Hopper Ranks the Beers


Well, the toilets both clogged up today and we have 10 inches of snow forecast for tonight. In the spirit of finding-a-happy-place, may I rank my Top Five beers?

Okay!

For the record, I’m not a big fan of dark, chunky beers. Nor am I one to salivate over mass-manufactured, chemically-tasting beer flavored water. I’m basically a fan of pale lagers, though I branch out now and then in different directions as the situation demands.

1. Fosters Lager

My current beer of choice, going on close to a decade I’d guess. For me it’s the perfect blend of flavor, bite, fizz, and alcohol content. Nuthin’ like a cold Foster’s oil can on a hot summer day. Or any day, for that matter.

2. Sam Adams Boston Lager

My fall-back beer if no Fosters are available. Love the taste, bite, etc. But just the plain ol’ lager though. The company is always coming out with theme flavored beer depending on the holiday and whatnot, and more often than not, I don’t like them. One flavor related to Halloween absolutely disgusts me in fact.

3. Spaaten Premium

Ah! This is my all-time favorite full-fledged German beer. Me and my pal used to drink this all the time around 2000-2005, so it’s got many fine memories attached to it. Not much different from the trend as far as its qualities, but somehow it’s just better. Dunno, maybe it’s the way it’s pronounced: shpahtten. Yeah, that must be it.

4. Grolsch Premium Lager

A favorite from my early drinking days, the late 80s. Loved the pop-off resealable cap. Don’t drink it much lately, maybe once every one or two years, but I still like the taste.

5. Corona

Maybe it’s not the best Mexican beer out there, but it’s the best to my unassuming palate.


Dishonorable Mentions

Molsen Ice

Drank gallons of this in the mid to late 90s – best beer to get drunk off, but please don’t hold it against me. This was the last of my club and bar hopping days, and what an unhappy time it was.

Busch

This is actually the best bang for your buck. I mean, a case of Busch – and a case of that beer was 30 cans for some reason – a case of it ran for $12. A great bargain when you are poor or are counting pennies, as I was several times in my younger days. Beer not entirely that gross, and it did the trick of getting you buzzed, at the cost of some flavor. And those 30 cans sometimes lasted me the whole weekend …

No comments: