Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sad News


Just found out this morning that my pastor of ten years is being reassigned to another parish effective July 1.  This man baptized both our children and gave Little One her first Holy Communion and first Confession.  He visited and prayed with me several times and consoled my family during my three-week hospitalization back in February of 2009.  I visited with him before my follow-up surgeries and we spoke of deep theological truths and he gave me the Anointing of the Sick sacrament several times (even right before our flight to Paris to allay my flying phobia).  Later he suggested I become an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion.

Though he will only be moved a town away, the congregation was stunned when we heard the announcement.  So was he; filled with shock and surprise he could barely hold back tears as he read the archbishop’s letter to us all.  And not only is he leaving, but his right-hand-man, a good young priest originally from Columbia whom both my girls grew fond of, is being reassigned to a church in Philadelphia effective that same day.  It’s like our parish is being decapitated.  We don’t even know who will be replacing them in three weeks.

We are all numb.  Please pray for these good men.


No comments: