Saturday, January 17, 2015

Books Waiting to Challenge Me


Speaking of the Lens Grinder, here are, off the top of my head, a half-dozen philosophy books I would absolutely love to read, to notate, to study, to digest, to be able to sit back and experience some orgasmic degree percentage of satori:


Ethics, by Spinoza

Being and Time, by Heidegger

Critique of Practical Reason, by Kant

Monadology, by Leibniz

The World as Will and Representation, by Schopenhauer

Being and Nothingness, by Sartre


Should have been a philosophy major in college.  But then again, I need to be in a certain mood for this kinda stuff, and I haven’t found the on/off switch for it and, at the mid-point of life, probably never will.

(I actually have the first five lying about somewhere in the stacks of books in the basement.  Maybe I’ll pick one up and read a first chapter – or first page – or first sentence, as the case may be – this weekend, if only to exercise my brain embattled from a week of pointless meaningless stress …)


No comments: