Friday, August 29, 2008

Disch Notes

Came across some very apt and inspiring observations I jotted down from Thomas Disch’s opinionated history of science fiction, The Dreams Our Stuff is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World. I read it quite a while ago, and judging from my notes, I have three-quarters of a mind to reread it.


The golden age of science fiction is twelve, when we begin to read SF and are wonderstruck.”

If the golden age of science fiction is twelve, it follows that SF writers will be sucessful in proportion as they can maintain the clarity and innocence of wise children.”

Authors with a permanent mind-set that is ‘forever young’ have an edge [such as] Ray Bradbury, Piers Anthony, Michael Moorcock, Roger Zelazny.”

Survival, for genre writers, depends on productivity – at least a book a year.”


Oh, pure unadulterated joy! This is truly something that makes me want to head up to the rooftops!

And another comment grabbed my eye:


Sameness is what marketers want us to want.”


Now, combine the four points above, mix freely with the exact antithesis of the last quote, put one of those silver thingies on top and shake real well. Pour out into your finest crystal (a pilsner would do well by me), and savor.

No comments: