Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lethargy, Weakness, and Coldness

"Of what use would it be to study the ways of God and of the spirit, if in practice one were to choose the way of perdition and to submit supinely to the god of the flesh? ... The root of modern evils and of their baneful consequences is not, as in pre-Christian times or in regions yet pagan, invincible ignorance of the eternal destiny of man and of the principal means of attaining it; rather it is lethargy of the spirit, weakness of the will, and coldness of heart."

- Pope Pius XII, February 10, 1952

Even up to the minutes as I post this, despite the steelness of my firm desire, I fall short of even reaching my small hand out to the great one extending down to lift me up. Am I helpless, condemned to be lethargic, weak, and cold? I know now that there is nothing I can do to pull myself out of this venus flytrap mindset. Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is a cruel myth. There is nothing I can do - there is nothing any of us can do. Perhaps but one thing, and one thing only: Continue to reach up ...

No comments: