Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Vianney

Every Sunday for the past four years and three months, my family sits in the same corner in the same church. Slightly claustrophobic, I prefer the aisle seat. Also, in case my young daughter has a meltdown, I can swiftly scoop her up and head for the door before the congregation takes too much of an interest in her (though in fairness to her, this has only ever happened two or three times). Well, every Sunday, at 10:20, when we get there, my girls scoot in first, I grab the aisle, and I glance to my immediate left at a stained glass window depicting St. John Vianney and nod.

The man mesmerizes me. I don’t know exactly why. To be honest, and I hope I’m not being too disrespectful, he looks a little crazy. There’s a mad glint in his eyes. I see passion, devotion, single-mindedness. And his hair, pure white, is kind of wild, hanging down to his shoulders. Lines cut deep into his face, no doubt from the rigorous fasting he did. I am fascinated by him. Though I know a little bit about the saint, I don’t know enough to do full justice in a post. Perhaps later. But I read a quote allegedly from him that I can’t get out of my head.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about economics. Normally, the subject bores me to tears. But there’s so much financial hardship I see and hear about lately, from relatives to close friends to coworkers, that I need to investigate that nagging little feeling that’s telling me there’s got to be a better way. And I think there is.

So I’ve been reading this and reading that, trying to let what I sense is important stuff sink into this noggin of mine, and I came across a quote by St. John Vianney – hey, he’s my man at church! I read it, and read it again, and it’s resonating with me.


St. John Vianney said, "God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry."


Have you ever heard anything like that voiced in the church? In a sermon? I never did. Yes, I know the section in the Sermon of the Mount where Jesus admonishes us about worry (Mt 6:25-34, believe me, I know it). But somehow John’s short statement, eleven words, succinct and authoritative, makes complete and total sense to me. It’s a command I can obey.

Over the next couple of days I want to write about this economic situation many of us find ourselves stuck in, and alternatives to it. I may say some things that go against conventional wisdom, that uproot deeply held beliefs. But grant me some leniency; I am in the process of questioning, seeking alternatives, and firstly, aligning myself toward a higher allegiance. I hope.

No comments: