Saturday, August 30, 2008

Election Thoughts

I know I promised not to comment again on politics (here's my only other political observation on this blog) until after the election, but allow me to indulge for a couple of paragraphs. For the first time I feel truly excited about this presidential race.

Up until yesterday I could not care less about our candidates. Obama is an empty suit, an ivory-tower liberal salivating to get his hand on my wallet, a speaker effective at obfuscation, dangerously inexperienced in this dangerous world of ours. Also, by some accounts, the most pro-abortion candidate ever offered up to lead this nation. So, if I had purpose in this election it would only be to keep Obama from winning.

So who do the Republicans counter with? McCain. Tired and old, up to now he's run a campaign similar in tone and tenor to Bob Dole's 1996 failed run. Dole '08 it's been called. Also, too liberal for conservatives, too conservative for liberals. Bland, with an air of entitlement. Yes, he has my respect for his service and suffering for our country in the Vietnam War, but that ended in 1975. Yes, I'd prefer him as Commander-in-Chief over the empty suit. But he's also a flip-flopper, especially on pro-life issues such as ESCR.

In November I was seriously considering, for the first time in my adult life, voting third party (this'll be my sixth vote for a president). A protest vote, perhaps. I am angry at the Republicans for their continual stupidity and ineptitude combating the moral evil festering in the Democratic Party. John McCain? That's the best they can do? Who else might have been their nominee? Romney? Giuliani? Again, those are the best?

Yes, I was weighing a third party vote on Election Day, but more so for the sake of my own conscience than as a protest vote. I'm sick and tired for voting for the lesser of two evils. However, I'm not knowledgeable or wise enough to know the ethical differences between a lesser evil vote and a non-vote. I was hoping for a few more weeks of reading and thinking, and probably wouldn't have come to a complete decision until inside that voting booth on November 4th.

Then there was the news yesterday that McCain had picked Sarah Palin as his running mate. The previous Saturday I heard Larry Kudlow speaking about her as a possible choice. I had heard of her once or twice in the news before, but Kudlow's analysis and summary of her positions and achievements made my ears perk up. Like Kudlow and his guests, though, I knew she'd be a long-shot. McCain was sure to pick an equally bland running mate, and would get slaughtered this fall, beginning four years of Purgatory for the United States unseen since the Carter years.

But that was not to be. Sarah Palin, to me, is the perfect choice for VP. Actually, I'm looking forward four years hoping she actually runs for President. Demonstrably pro-life. The simple fact that she chose not to abort her fifth child, diagnosed with Downs Syndrome, speaks more for her character than any testimony I could hear or read. Five children, with a working-class husband. Demonstrably principled, as her tenure in Alaskan politics, fighting corruption in her own party and garnering the highest approval ratings of all the fifty US governors. And she can speak! After eight years of Bushisms, I think America just wants a leader who can get a sentence out without popping a clutch. (In fact, I think that's almost half of Obama's appeal.) She even has more experience governing than her running mate's opponent. Also, who now is the Candidate of Change? McCain, with his pick of a pro-life female governor from Alaska, or Obama, with his pick of a 30-year career Beltway senator?

The bumper sticker goes on the car as soon as I get it. I'm still guarded and cynical, but at least I have a reason and choice in that voting booth in November.

No comments: