Saturday, August 16, 2008

E-Minus

"What’s that?" Bobby asks.

Tom just shrugs. "Don’t know. Footprints. Of what kind, I couldn’t say."

"How many nights - "

"Almost a month now."

Dusk was coming soon. "Should I hold that gun?" Bobby says too loud, a tad bit afraid. Shuffling in waist-high brush, army training still couldn’t fight off his anxious thoughts.

Tom stands up, shaking dirt off his coat. "Damn sasquatch. Ruining all our crops."

"How do you know it was him?"

Sighing: "I just do. Tracks don’t fib."

"Call Captain Parks."

"Why?"

An odd cry floats down from Black Mountain. "That’s why," Bobby says in a low murmur.

Now Tom aims his shotgun. Looking at his pal, Bobby points south.

I watch all this without a sound. Nary a word, as us journalists fondly say. I saw Tom’s boy run down to a brook, grab his pack, and trot back up toward us. I also saw Tom scan about, looking for any sign of … why is it that saying "sasquatch" sounds so silly?

"Quick, son," Tom shouts. Turning to Bob: "Anybody spot a UFO last night?"

Conspiracy nuts, I think. Townfolk downright crazy.

Without a doubt.


Dang! It’s lots and lots of fun to think up stuff without having to throw in that annoying E!

No comments: