Friday, September 18, 2009

Etching

...

Actual conversation last night between me and my wife, just before bed -


ME: Hey, do you want to see an etching of a pig dressed in human clothes, being flogged for a crime he may or may not have committed?

WIFE: What?

ME: Do you want to see an etching of a pig dressed in human clothes, being flogged for a crime he may or may not have committed?

Not waiting for a response, I show her a picture on page 326 of a book I am reading.

WIFE: (incredulous) You actually went to the library to find a book on a pig being flogged?

ME: (back-peddling) Well, the whole book is not entirely about that. It’s about strange but allegedly true events from the past.

WIFE: (with raised eyebrow) And you actually spent the time to drive to the library, pick out this book from all the others on the shelves, wait on line, and check it out from the library?

ME: Hey, what do you want? I’m into weird stuff. You knew this before you married me. You were warned.

WIFE: (sighing) Yes, they all warned me …


Note: I tried to find a picture online of the engraving of the poor little fellow, but was unsuccessful. In fact, reference to the picture is completely omitted from the photo credits at the back of my library book. Strange coincidence … or something more sinister? Hmmmm?

No comments: