Monday, September 7, 2009

Technical Difficulties



Hello! I have not vanished off the face of the earth. I was not lost exploring the deep, vast, dark African continent. Nor was I left for dead in some forgotten used book store. No. My PC is having technical difficulties.

It began on Friday afternoon. Having three or four Internet Explorers open, I clicked on yet another link which took me to some Adobe .pdf file that insisted on opening. Before I could figure out how to cancel, the whole PC locked up. Froze solid. Seeing I couldn’t manually close out of all the IE’s, nor could I reboot the PC by normal means, I had to kill the power switch.

When it rebooted, I discovered I lost all my desktop icons as well as the task bar. I was unable to right-click. The only way I could get things open was through the Task Manager. I rebooted into Safe Mode, deleted all my cookies and temp files, and tried to do a System Restore. Despite having done so on several occasions in the past, now it seems I need to contact my System Administrator to do a Restore. And the PC won’t reboot into Admin settings.

Then, a peaceful interlude. We went down the shore for three days.

I got back home a few hours ago. Tried a few more things, no luck. So I’m doing this update on my wife’s laptop. Tomorrow evening I’ll resume my troubleshooting. I used to do this nonsense for a living, but that was a long time ago, and things change fast in the computer world. So, we’ll see.

In the meantime, know that I do have a couple of posts on deck to make up for the scarcity lately. Hope y’all enjoyed your Labor Day and back-to-school is as painless as it is for us, so far.

No comments: