Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Insomniasm


I’m like a zombie today. For the past three days I’ve woken up between 2:30 and 3 and have been unable to get back to sleep. Once the blame fell on Patch, who is going through a scared-of-the-dark phase. She woke both the wife and me up one morning with bloodcurdling screams. Wife and child got back to bed. Me, not so much.

This morning it was severe heartburn that kept me up. Heartburn! Man, am I getting old. Never had it as a youth, have it often as a middle-aged guy. This time it was brought on by a single freakin’ glass of Cavit Pinot Grigio. Another food / beverage my increasingly tender GI system can’t handle.

Most of the time when I’m up in the dark early morning hours, I tiptoe down to the basement, to the writing office, and surf the web. A few weeks ago I watched a trio of Lost in Space episodes on hulu. Two mornings ago I watched a really really bad flick called The Slime People, last seen as a starry-eyed youngling.

Earlier today I decided to break this cycle of humdrum insanity. Instead of surfing the web aimlessly watching goofy stuff, I decided – whoa! – to clean my desk. To pay a few bills. To bring the dirty dishes up to the kitchen sink. And –

To listen to my motivational CDs.

Grant Cardone, author of 10X, is all the rage at work. It’s an actual example of the trickle-down effect. The owners of the company listen to him religiously. They enthusiastically recommend his works to their employees. Managers listen to the CDs, read his books. Young Hopper, budding industrialist and captain of industry, always on the make for something to jump-start his motivation, decides to take the plunge after hearing a sample of Mr. Cardone’s highly unique delivery style and substance while driving in the owner’s car with a bunch of other worker bees.

Needless to say, I ate, showered, dressed, kissed the girls goodbye two hours later in much better spirits than the previous two days.

But man am I freakin’ tired!!!!

No comments: