Friday, August 31, 2012

Convention


For those who may not know me, I’m basically a conservative guy. After a short stint as a liberal (thank you, Rutgers University), I returned to the fold in the early 90s and have remained there ever since. I’m not a rabid Republican, though, and I believe wholeheartedly the perception as the Republicans as the Stupid Party and the Democrats as the Evil Party.

Why Evil Party? A couple of reasons. Their die-hard adherence to abortion. Their increasingly anti-religious stance. Their increasingly big-government stance. The whole gay “marriage” thing. Because of these planks in their platform, I will never throw a lever for a Democrat. Don’t “hate” ’em, just think their beliefs are wrong for this country.

However, this is not a blanket endorsement of the Republican opponent. Back about a decade ago or so, the Republican candidate for Senator in my state came out pro-abortion. I did not vote for either man of either party for Senate that election, but voted the most conservative candidate on the other races that day.

I was thinking something similar in this presidential election. I was somewhat swayed by this argument: Your vote does not count. It really doesn’t, when you think analytically about it. If any election were to come down to one vote (which it never, ever will; elections are decided by thousands and tens of thousands up to millions of votes en masse), the lawyers would swoop in and the dogpile for the fumbled football would commence. Your vote means nothing.

Except – to your soul.

There have been arguments – some almost convincing to me but not quite – that a vote for Romney is no different than a vote for Obama. That both parties are the Parties of Oligarchy. I mean, Obama practically continued the Bush Administration’s foreign policy. And I’ve heard it argued that Romney only gives lip service to the Pro-Life crowd.

But then there’s the concept of proportionality. Sometimes it’s okay to partake in a small evil to avoid a great evil. Steal a crust of bread to feed your family sort of thing. Lie to save a Jewish family from the Gestapo. That sorta thing. In the case of Romney and Obama, better to vote for the guy that doesn’t care about you (as a believing Christian, for example) than for one who actively hates you (as in Obama forcing the whole Catholics-pay-for-the-birth-control-of-others fiasco). The question is, is the evil small enough (or even negligent in your heart of hearts) to pull that lever?

For me, I think it is.

Why?

Because I do believe that this country is in great danger, dire danger, of a fiscal nature. You know, the whole crushing debt thing. The present course is unsustainable. If things do not change, I believe me and my family might live something like a 21st century Grapes of Wrath kind of existence. Possibly my children’s children, too. The present course is unsustainable, and Obama has no clue what to do to avoid this fiscal catastrophe except proceed full steam ahead.

I watched the speeches at the Republican convention this past week. Haley, Davis, Christie, Ryan, Eastwood (yes, Clint Eastwood!), Rubio, and Romney. I liked the tone, I liked the vision. What little of specific ideas were discussed, I liked. On the whole it seemed upbeat, positive, optimistic. Many poked fun at Obama – someone’s gotta do it since the late-night comedians have taken the last four years off – but nothing nasty and nothing that would cross a line of decency. Unless referring to Obama’s preference for golf somehow crosses a line. I must say the convention eased my mind a bit. I’m unabashedly hoping for some change this November.

I won’t bother watching the Democratic convention. Like I said earlier: abortion, anti-religion, big government, gay “marriage.” Plus, since Obama cannot run on his economic record – indeed, wants to redirect any attention to it – all it will be is one speaker after another demonizing Romney and Ryan. It will not be upbeat, positive, or optimistic since there has been nothing upbeat, positive, and optimistic of the last four years. And, of course, anyone in disagreement with Obama and his policies (such as myself) will be labeled a “racist,” whatever that is. Or “warring against women,” whatever that may mean.

So I will vote for Romney this November.

No comments: