Saturday, September 8, 2012

Canine Dreams


A few nights ago I had a very vivid dream. My family lived in an apartment building a couple of floors up. Didn’t have an elevator, so I had to take the stairs.

Anyway, I was a worker bee and they all stayed at home. A 1940s worker bee, with the hat and the overcoat and the galoshes. I came home one cold and rainy night and discovered the girls had bought a puppy!

All well and good. We played with the puppy a bit, when suddenly – in that way dreams have – I was trudging up those stairs again. Opened the door and guess what! They bought another dog, an older one, rescued from a shelter.

Then, just like Groundhog Day, I walked up those stairs again and again, and more dogs! One that looked like a cocker spaniel, one that looked like a golden retriever. One was a fat little bull-doggish-looking thing.

Five dogs! My girls (wife included) had got five dogs to live with us as a family, in our apartment.

I freaked out. “I’m going to be the one walking them!” was my plaintive yet voluminous cry. “Me! Not you! Me!”

At the time, it was a very emotional, highly charged outburst that reverberated with much passion through my dream-mind. Though now, a few days removed from the episode, it seems petty and miniscule, a drop of rain compared to the fury of a category-5 hurricane. Also, it’s kinda funny now, whereas when I awoke I was bathed in a cold sweat. (Gotta aim those air conditioner vents at the other side of the bedroom.)

Driving to work that morning, I realized: the dogs are symbolic of tasks at work. My company just bought another, smaller company a month ago, one that we are energetically growing. As a result, people like me – people doing the background work, the accounting end of things – are getting swamped and tsunamied. Battered and brained. And it’s taking its toll on all of us in various ways. This past week for me, for reasons I can’t go into on an anonymous blog, was particularly hellish.

Now, it’s not that I don’t want more work at work. I do; work at work generally makes the time go by faster. It’s the whole disorganized, figger it out as you go, fake-it-until-you-make-it, we-will-find-a-way-or-make-one style – a style chosen out of necessity – that is genuinely grating on the soul. Sure, I can take not know what I’m doing for a few days, but as a few weeks draw out into a month, month-and-a-half, it takes a toll. I desperately need systems in place so I can do my job efficiently.

Plus, I’m hoping to parlay all this into a nice big well-deserved raise when I’m up for review in two months. So I guess this system-creation is where it’ll all hinge come that cold, crisp early-November day. We’ll see.

As of now, though, every time I see a dog I can’t help thinking about my cubicle at work, and the stacks and stacks of paperwork within it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it just means it's time for that dog you and C talked about when you first bought your house! I'm sure the girls would love one and yes, you would wind up walking it, while they showered it with love and it reciprocated in a way only a four-legged member of the family can....unconditionally! -J