Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Third Grade


In the midst of all our insane busy-ness, Little One started the third grade today. All I could think all day was, “ [blasphemous expletive] – where is the time going?”





I remember my time in third grade … all those decades ago. Times were different then, but not much so for an eight-year-old. Did crazy things with my friends, both in and out of school. Hung out with a new kid in town who’d remain friends with me off and on until senior year. As far as scholastics go, for some reason I remember learning long division this year. Could that be right? Little One is just starting simple division, and still has yet to truly master multiplication. I sat somewhere in the middle of the class and proudly raising my hand when I knew an answer. So the shyness didn’t kick in yet.

Anyway, now an adult, now a parent, the time is just slipping through my fingertips. Before long I should be an old man, all wrinkles and white hair and regrets. Boy, did the summer fly by. Wasn’t it just last week we were in Paris –

Gotta stop this navel-gazing and get practical. Tangible. Need to create. I’ve had three book project thingies sitting on the shelf (actually, sitting undeveloped in a file folder on my desktop) … perhaps I should race Little One whether I can finish a book before she can finish the third grade.

On your mark – get set –

No comments: