Monday, September 24, 2012

Zen Like Yoda


Me, 7:45 am, Monday morning: Okay, girls, this is going to be a beer-free week. That means every night, when we come home, I’m going upstairs into my room and do twenty minutes of meditation. That’s how I’m now going to fight stress. Understand? Meditation. But I need twenty uninterrupted minutes. That means You Do Not Disturb Me. Understand?

Little One: Yes.

Patch: Yes.

Me: Now, when we get home and I go upstairs, I’m going to close the door. You are not to enter. For twenty minutes. I don’t want to hear “Daddy?” or any fightin’ words. Understand? See, when I close that door, three minutes later all sorts of urges are going to bubble up into your little minds – how can I disturb Dad? You just have to subdue that urge. That’s part of growing up, part of becoming an adult. Subduing that urge to distract other people. So give me twenty minutes of peace every night. Understand?

Little One: My Daddy is a Master Yoda.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...Her cousins are rubbing off on her! And twenty uninterrupted minutes with two children running around the house...let me know how that works out for you, okay? Their silence is scarier than all their noise, you don't know WHAT they're up to! -J

LE said...

Thanks for reminding me of The Silence of the Toddlers!

I guess I need to put Jedi Zen practice on the back burner ... for ten or twelve years or so.