Monday, July 9, 2012

Flapper


My wife thinks the Apocalypse is on hand.

Why?

I went to Home Depot, bought a $5 part, and fixed our broken toilet!

I blogged about the gauntlet my upstairs bathroom made me run, here. All by itself it seemed to suddenly work properly. I washed my hands of it (note: those hands were basically clean, as I basically did nothing to it) and moved on.

Then it began its sadistic tauntings once more, about two weeks ago.

Finally I had enough. Well, actually, the wife had enough. She threatened to call the plumber. Me, visualizing that $150 bill already, pleaded with her to postpone her threat one more day. I’d go to Home Depot and buy a new part to replace the one I think was way past its prime.

The part was the flapper, and it keeps the water in the tank of the toilet, and lets it out when you flush the darn thing. My flapper was probably older than my marriage. It certainly was a lot lumpier, moldier, and warped than I feel. Like a down-and-out refugee from Gamblers Anonymous suddenly at the hottest table in Caeser’s, I let it all roll on the purchase of this new rubber stopper thingie.

And it worked! (note: I think. I won’t actually proclaim victory – this post excepted – until a couple of days go by and I don’t hear that darn terlet acting up again.)

So now I’m celebrating tonight. The wife is cooking me dinner. I may have control of the remote after the kiddies go to bed. Who knows – I may even get a good night’s sleep ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I knew you could do it!